Group Living for the Disabled
7 CFR § 271.2 & 7 CFR § 273.1(b)(7)(vi)(C) & 7 CFR § 273.11(f)
- public or private nonprofit residential setting,
- serving no more than 16 residents, and
- certified by the FNS as a retailer, or
- approved by the appropriate agency or agencies of the State under regulations or comparable standards issued under Section 1616(e) of the Social Security Act.
Submit information to the SNAP Public Assistance Consultant assigned to your field office for a determination of eligibility if the facility’s eligible status is unknown.
7 CFR § 273.11(f)(1)
Residents of any age must be disabled.
The resident or the EDG must meet all SNAP eligibility requirements.
Applying for SNAP
7 CFR § 273.1(b)(7)(vi)(C) & 7 CFR § 273.2(n) & 7 CFR § 273.11(f)(1)(i)-(ii) and (6)
Residents may apply as a:
- group of one, or
- any group of residents applying as an EDG.
- apply themselves
Note: The facility must decide if the resident can apply for SNAP on their own behalf based on the resident's physical and mental ability to handle their affairs.
- choose their own A-Rep, or
- use the designated employee of the facility as their A-Rep.
Residents applying themselves do not lose their eligibility if the facility:
- loses its approval from the State appropriate agencies, or
- its status as an A-Rep is suspended due to FNS disqualifying the facility as a retailer.
7 CFR § 273.11(f)(1)(i)
Residents of group living for the disabled facilities are eligible for the same service and processing standards as other SNAP recipients.
Facility EDGs must meet the same eligibility requirements as other SNAP recipients, with the following exception:
7 CFR § 273.11(f)(i)
Allow any identified shelter expenses paid by the resident. If a single payment covers multiple expenses, deduct the following identified costs from the payment:
- medical expenses (allow toward the medical deduction)
- amount returned to the resident for personal use, and
- the SNAP maximum benefit for the number of individuals in the EDG.
Allow any remaining amount as the shelter expense.
Use of Benefits
7 CFR § 273.11(f)(7)
Residents approved as a one-member EDG may:
- give their benefits to the facility to purchase food for meals served to the group or individual,
- purchase and prepare their own food, or
- purchase meals prepared and served by the facility.
The facility will ensure each resident's SNAP benefits are used for meals intended for that resident when the resident chooses personal meals instead of group meals.
7 CFR § 273.11(f)(4)
Residents applying themselves are responsible to report their own changes.
Exception: The facility is required to report when the resident leaves the center. See Facility Requirements When the Resident Leaves.
Facility Information Requirements
7 CFR § 273.11(f)(2)
The facility must provide the DSS with a periodic list of currently participating residents, including a statement signed by a responsible center official attesting to the validity of the list.
DSS ensures periodic, random on-site visits to the center are conducted to assure the list of eligible residents and records are consistent and up-to-date.
7 CFR § 273.11(e)(7)-(8) and (f)(6)
Residents applying on their own behalf are responsible for any overissuances.
Facilities are responsible for all:
- losses or misuse of benefits, and
- overpayments occurring while acting as the individual’s A-Rep.
7 CFR § 273.11(e)(6)(i)-(iv) and (f)(5)
When the resident leaves the treatment center it must:
- notify the State agency of the EDG’s change in address and new address if known, and that they are no longer the EDG’s A-Rep;
- provide the EDG its EBT card within 5 days of the EDG’s departure, if the center had the EBT card;
- provide the EDG with a change report form, and advise the EDG to return the form to DSS within 10 days; and
- return a prorated share of the EDG’s benefits based on the number of days the EDG resided at the center.
If the resident leaves before the center can take those actions, then the center must:
- notify the State agency within 5 days so that the State agency can transfer the refund from the GLA or Center’s bank account to the EDG’s EBT account; and
- return the EDG’s EBT card to DSS within 5 days of the EDG leaving.